The Holder’s Manual has been updated for FY15. Major changes are listed below:
- South Dakota has adopted the new NAUPA property and relationship codes. See Appendix A.
- Paper reporting is no longer allowed.
- Clarification on Earnest and Escrow Accounts and Heirs who cannot be found have been added.
- Safekeeping to be reported separate from cash or stock. Use UCP3 or similar form.
- Reciprocal Reporting has changed. Holders may report incidental, cash only, properties of 10 or less items and total less than $1,000.
- UCP-1 Verification Summary has been changed. This form must accompany the report in paper or as a pdf. A similar form can be used if generated from the reporting software.
- Informal Voluntary Disclosure Agreement (VDA) form has been added.
FY15 Holder Manual
South Dakota State Law (SDCL 43-41B) requires that a holder report to the State Treasurer property which is presumed to be "abandoned" or "unclaimed" after the stated dormancy period for each property type. See Holder Manual for reporting requirements.
Unclaimed Property reports and remittance are due November 1st for property reportable to the State of South Dakota as of the preceding June 30th. Life Insurance Companies reports are due May 1st for property reportable to the State of South Dakota as of the preceding December 31st. Holders who have never reported should include all property that has been held for the appropriate dormancy period. Payment should be made payable to the South Dakota State Treasurer.
All holders are required to report electronically. All reports must include Form UCP-1 (Verification Summary for Unclaimed property). Payment is to be made payable to SD State Treasurer-UCP and mailed to SD State Treasurer-UCP, 500 E Capitol Ave, Ste 212, Pierre SD 57501. Email for wire/ACH instructions. Email prior to sending encrypted or password protected files notifying us of the procedure to receive and open the file.
Do not submit worthless or non-transferable stock when reporting Securities.
Confirmation of securities is required prior to the transfer either by fax (605) 773-3115 or by email, include in the confirmation the following:
- Stock name
- Number of Shares
Securities must be registered to:
State of South Dakota, State Treasurer, Unclaimed Property Division
Direct Transfer information can be requested via email
To learn more about property types and the national standard, review the NAUPA Standard Electronic File Reporting Format go to the NAUPA website. The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators